Education & Training
Whether you are an employer seeking qualified staff, a professional wishing to perfect his training, a company aiming to collaborate with top university research, or an expatriate concerned with enrolling his children in school, you will find in the Lake Geneva Region (Canton de Vaud) one of the strongest concentrations of academic excellence in Europe.
The academic environment includes the following international schools and universities in particular:
- The International Institute for Management Development (IMD), higher school of management whose MBA programmes, like Harvard’s, are rated, year after year, amongst the best in the world by the specialised press;
- The Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) – Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne, whose excellence in the fields of science and engineering contributed to the victories of the Alinghi team sailboats during the America’s Cup in 2003 and 2007;
- The Ecole cantonale d'art de Lausanne (ECAL) – Cantonal School of Art of Lausanne, regularly presented by the specialised press as one of the best schools of applied arts and design in the world;
- l'Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL) – Lausanne Hotel School, the number one and most prestigious training establishment in the hotel and welcoming professions sector;
- The University of Lausanne (UNIL), with over 10,000 students and 2,200 researchers in 7 faculties, one of which (economic science - HEC) is amongst the most reputed in Europe;
- The Haute Ecole d'ingénieurs et de gestion du canton de Vaud (HEIG-Vd) – School of Engineering and Management, which houses over 1,600 students in nine, high-level professional sectors in business management and engineering.
The world school
In Switzerland, and in the Lake Geneva Region in particular, private schools enjoy a tradition and a reputation of excellence. Private schools in the Lake Geneva Region (Canton of Vaud) number around 50. Often of an international calling, these schools allow students to follow the educational programmes of numerous countries in their corresponding language. The programmes range from kindergarten to high-level training, and include professional training, languages, evening and summer courses, and continued education. The diplomas awarded are internationally acknowledged.